Project DELTA (Digital Excavation through Learning and Training in Archaeology) aims to design and develop a course that combines the physical space of an archaeological excavation with the digital space of online learning. With this course, students of Archaeology will be able to improve update their knowledge and skills and develop digital and 21st century skills in particular.
DELTA is a transnational project funded in the context of Erasmus+/KA2 EU programme (Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education). The project is coordinated by the DAISSy research group of Hellenic Open University. DELTA brings together 4 partners from 3 European countries:
- The DAISSy Research group of the Hellenic Open University, which conducts educational and technological research, develops digital content, online platforms and MOOCs and enables the development of digital and citizenship skills;
- The Department of History and Archaeology of the University of Athens, which conducts yearly excavations in the site of Plasi, Marathon (Attica), aiming to the promotion of scientific knowledge and offering a wide field for training undergraduate and postgraduate students of archaeology in excavation and other methods of archaeological fieldwork;
- The Department of European and Mediterranean Cultures: Architecture, Environment, Cultural Heritage (DiCEM) of the University of Basilicata, which has been operating since 2012 with the aim of generating, disseminating and applying new knowledge in the fields of archaeology, architecture, environment and tangible and intangible cultural heritage;
- The Department of Archaeology and Museology of the Masaryk University, which conducts excellent research and applies the latest methods and equipment, covering a broad range of topics and disposes of the latest methodological and theoretical approaches, such as the development of settlements in Prehistoric and historical landscape, dynamics of the human-environment relationships, functional analysis, past social processes, protection, documentation and presentation of cultural heritage.
DELTA will result in the design and development of:
- a blended course entitled “Digital Excavation” containing 4 modules;
- a Teaching Handbook in four languages (EN, EL, IT, CZ);
- the DELTA online open platform;
- a set of good practices towards the application of new instructional methods and the modernization of excavation practice; a guide with policy recommendation for courses on Digital Excavation.